Howdy all! I know it has been a really long time since I have written anything, but now that I am on winter break I have a lot more free time to share all the things I am doing in my life! Let’s talk about last night, for a while I have been wanting to make my own black bean burgers and I finally had the time to give it a whirl. Sometimes I get nervous trying new things, but since they built a new pizza place across the street from my apartment I have no fear, if it turns out bad I have them on speed dial 🙂 So here is what I used to make them:
- 2 cans salt free black beans (next time I want to get 1 regular and another spicy)
- 1 red pepper (I used a little less than half of it)
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 can salt free canned corn
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- A couple sprinkles of cayenne
- S+P to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Chipotle hot sauce
- Buns or rolls, and whatever you would like to garnish, I used tomato, onion, humus and avocado
Aright are you ready?
- Open and drain the beans, I threw them in a strainer and rinsed them for a while. Then I placed two paper towels in the bottom of the bowl I was going to squish them so then all the excess water would be soaked up. After I gave the beans a little squeeze I discarded the paper towels. I also thought it would be better to mush the spices into the beans so I that’s what I did. Spice it up!
- Then start mashing the beans with a fork, or if you have a better utensil then use it! *entering dream state* hhhmmm I remember the masher I use to have, it has helped me so many times, we mashed so many potatoes together and had some awesome guacamole parties and then one day her fate was decided and her heart wanted to stay in the potatoes and her handle wanted to stay in my hand *leaving dream state*.
- Then I diced the red pepper, jalapeño, onion, garlic and cilantro. I diced them pretty small so the burger doesn’t fall apart. Also add the corn and craisins as well!
- So this is when I added the egg and chipotle sauce, and I put gloves on and mashed together with my hands, then I add the bread crumbs and formed the patties. I made about 6 patties with this.
- Then I just lightly oiled the pan and browned each side of the burgers, you will know when to flip the patties when the beans are cooked on one side it won’t stick to the pan. Try not to flip them to many times or else they will fall apart.
- While these were cooking I toasted my buns and dressed them with the humus, tomatoes, avocado and onion.
For a side, I had my husband slice some yams into french fry’s for a side and just gave them a little salt and pepper. They were so yummy!
And now you all can make your own black bean burgers! These were so yummy, Next time I want to change what I use on the inside, like green chilis and quinoa! These are definitely one meal that you can make different.
Well until next time my Wildflowers,